Sligo Cycling Summer League kicks off
As a result of Covet 19 restrictions on all sports including cycling, this series of local cycling time trials and races were delayed this year but will now get off to a later start on Wednesday night the 1st of July at Rosses Point. The first rider will be away at 7pm and registration is from 6pm outside the caravan park on the beach road.
This unique series of events will take place every second Wednesday evening, beginning with a Time Trail event at Rosses Point on Wednesday the 1st of July. The series will run right through to the end of August.
In 2019 three cycling clubs came together to provide the cyclists of Sligo with a bit of light-hearted competition to test each other in different types of cycling events. Innisfree Wheelers, Bottecchia, and Yeats CC, aim to provide a series of events that will suit many different levels of cyclist. The series then took on board the GOAL Cup hill climb hosted by Leitrim glens to complete the series.
Age categories will once again range from Junior right up to over 60 for both men and women. All that is required to enter is a Cycling Ireland limited competition licence. The full fee for all SEVEN events of €50 can be paid in Rosses Point on the opening night of the 1st of July. Individual events may be entered at an entry fee of €10 per event.
The following are the details of the events :
|01/07/20||Time Trial (14k)||Rosses Point||Innisfree|
|29/07/20||Time Trial (32k)||Lough Gill Circuit||Innisfree|
|26/08/20||Hill Climb (6%)||Kilcoosey||Leitrim Glens|
- All events will be handicapped. For example, in the races, slower/less experienced and (dare I say it) older riders will get a time advantage at the start, and will work in small groups ahead of the scratch group.
- There will be categories for the following; Club Riders, A2, A3, A4, M40, M50, M60, F40, F50, F60.
- There will be a perpetual trophy for the 1st overall individual and for the 1st team.
- A limited competition CI licence is required for all events except the final hill climb event. This is the GOAL cup annual event where all proceeds go to the charity GOAL.
- The two TT events (marshalled by Wheelers) will be roughly 14km and 32km respectively.
- The races starting at Carraroe will probably be about 25km.
- A rider may miss ONE event in the entire series all riders points will be calculated based on the total number of events minus his/her lowest points event..
- If a rider is required for marshalling on any night, they will be allowed appropriate points for that event.
- The entry fee is €50 for all events or €10 per event if you turn up without entering the total series.
- Entries will be taken on the first night (01/07/20) and handicap will be assigned each night.
- Help may be needed from our club members for some of the events, so volunteers will be most welcome.
Results – Sligo League 2020
Sligo League 2019